Are you a muffin lover who never gets tired of muffins? Well, this is the best article for you to learn more about them!. Regardless of how many times you have eaten them, there are many facts you need to know about these cupcake-shaped sweetbreads. Do you know that they have different names in different regions? In the UK they are known as flat yeast bread while in the US they call them Quick bread. As much as you like to eat them, have you ever wondered how long are muffins good for you to eat, and how to store and keep them for a longer period? You’ll find the answers to many questions you might have!
How long do they last?
Assume you have a bunch of muffins that you wanna keep eating later with the same quality as it is now.?How long are these muffins good for eating basically depends on the ingredients they are made of and the way you store them.
- You can keep sweet muffins with fresh fruits only for several days.To be specific you can keep the muffins made with raspberries, blueberries and bananas etc. only for around 1-2 days, otherwise mold growth becomes a problem.
- Or else use fruits with lesser fresh quality inside of the muffin while keeping the surface dry. This will help you to keep them for around 3-4 days.
Cleary they are made of more dry ingredients. This is the reason why their quality retains for a longer period. But keep in mind that some savory ones include cheese, chopped vegetables, and sometimes meats. In this case, the shelf life becomes less. You can increase this up to 4-6 days by refrigerating.
However, regardless of the ingredients, you can use freezing as the best option to increase their shelf life. Stay tuned! Let’s get into this fact later.
How to identify if a muffin is bad?
You must give similar importance to identifying muffins that are not suitable for consumption. Because you need to pick the best muffins for consumption due to safety issues. Given below are some tips you can use.
- Having fuzz on surface- Due to mold growth
- Storing for too long than recommended
- Off smell or taste
How long do muffins last at room temperature?
As we discussed earlier shelf life of muffins depends on the way you store them. With proper storage conditions, you can keep freshly baked ones for 1-2 days. Here we’ll focus on how to store them while preserving the quality at room temperature.
Steps in proper storage
- It’s important to cool them before storing. Once they are removed from the oven, keep in the pan for few minutes before transfering to a wire rack.Otherwise they will become soggy.
- To prevent drying, cover with an alumium foil or a palstic wrap or bag.
- Store in a dry area
With this condition, you can store Freshly baked muffins of excellent quality for the aforementioned time period. We’ll discuss the best overall tips that you could use in the latter part of the article.
How long are muffins good for in the fridge?
If you store newly baked muffins at a temperature below 40 degrees F in air-tight condition, you can keep them for 1 week.
How to store muffins in refrigerator?
Remember that keeping it air-tight is very important because, muffins might absorb the smell of other foods in the fridge, which will hinder your appetite as well.
Moreover, the bacterial growth rate becomes higher between 40 -140 degrees F. That’s why it is very much important that you keep the temperature lower to keep the quality and freshness of muffins.
How long are muffins good for in the freezer?
First of all, do you know that you can freeze muffins? of course, you can freeze them, no problem at all. In freezing use an aluminum foil or a freezer plastic wrap/freezer bag for that. Then keep them frozen consistently under the temperature of 0°F. With proper storage conditions, you can maintain the best quality for around 2-3 months. Or they may last a little longer if you follow the storage conditions accurately. 
Refer to the table below to get an idea of shelf life with different ingredients and storage conditions.
|Fresh fruits topped (sweet)||1-2 days||3+ months|
|Fresh fruits inside (sweet)||3-4 days||3+ months|
|With more dry ingredients (sweet)||5-7 days||3+ months|
|Savory muffins||4-6 days||3+ months|
Best overall tips to store properly
- Once the baking is over , keep the muffins cool for around 10-15 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Do not add icing when storing in the refrigerator or freezer, as they do not come to their original state at the room temperature after freezing.It’s better to add icing or any other decorative toppings when muffins are ready to eat or serve.
- Instead of freezing or refrigerating , you can keep muffins in a dry cool place in the pantry avoiding heat and sunlight.But always remember that it will not extend the shelf life as efficient as freezing
- As aforementioned always use airtight containers when storing, to prevent the muffins catching other food odors.In this way you can presserve the fresh odor and taste more precisely.
- Especially keep muffins away from foods like onions,fish, garlic etc. which have strong odors
- Lower the temperature the better. Therefore when storing in the refrigerator it’s better to store them in the lowest shelf. Because in there it has a temperature between 38 – 40 degrees F.
- If you freeze the muffins, then they can be thawed easily as well. All you have to do is keep them overnight in the fridge.More importantly remove the freezer bag or the cling film you used initially to store during freezing.
You can learn how to make delicious muffins here.
How long are blueberry muffins good for?
At room temperature, you can store blueberry muffins in an airtight bag or a container. This will help you to keep them for around 2 days. For shelf life longer than 2 months, wrap them in a plastic bag and then place them in a zip-top bag for freezing.
How long do blueberry muffins last in the fridge?
Try not to refrigerate them, because they will dry out and lose the desired texture. If you wanna refrigerate, then wrap in a paper towel and place in a sealed container. In this way, you can keep the muffins for 6 -7 days.
How long do banana muffins last in the fridge?
Usually, refrigeration is not the kind of best method to preserve muffins As it changes the texture badly. But with proper storage conditions If you want you can keep newly baked muffins for around 1 week in the refrigerator. At room temperature, you can keep banana muffins for 3 days. And with freezing, you can keep them up to 3 months.
These Sweet pumpkin muffins are enriched with spice flavor which makes them a perfect fall treat. But no worries you can enjoy them throughout the year as well.
Their soft texture can be retained for 3 days at room temperature if you keep them in an airtight bag. Similar to other muffins, If you refrigerate you can keep them for around one week. For a better taste, enjoy them at the room temperature or microwave for a few seconds to make them slightly warm.
For a longer shelf life properly store them with the use of above freezing steps and tips. so that you can keep them for around 2 months.
How long do chocolate muffins last?
Chocolate muffins perform similarly to other muffins. With airtight storage conditions, you can keep them for 2 days with fresher quality at room temperature and for one week in refrigerated conditions.
In the final conclusion, now you know that it’s possible to keep muffins longer using proper storage conditions. All you have to do is follow the right steps and tips to enjoy your life with your favorite foods and not waste them. And don’t forget to enjoy different flavor profiles as well!