Are you feeling a bit fuzzy and weird? Isn’t it? If you are such tempestuous, just relax and have a read. It would be one of the best ways to keep your weird soul soothing and relaxing. Yes of course..! It’s just sweet vegetables. Never forget to add Sweet vegetables to your diet for a number of benefits other than to keep your body soothing. Let’s look at what vegetables are high in sugar and see how they can help you.
Furthermore, you can grab some sweet vegetable recipe ideas to have your favorite vegetables taste like candy.
Natural sweet vegetables
Are any vegetables sweet? No. First, let’s see what comes under the category of sweet vegetables. Commonly, few of them are coming with the adjective ‘sweet’, however, most of them are not. See whether you have ever known those vegetables are sweet or not before your first try. According to the degree of sweetness you feel, it can be classified as sweet or semi-sweet. Semi-sweet ones are having a delicate/subtle sweetness (1).
- Sweet vegetables – Swiss chard, Sweet potatoes, Sweet onions, Sweet pepper, Sweet corn, Carrot, Beetroot, Yams, Winter squashes, Podded peas, Butternut, Buttercup, Spinach
- Semi-sweet vegetables – Turnips, Parsnips, Rutabagas
Secondly, let’s have a look into them one by one. First and foremost you all would love to know what is the sweetest green vegetable? It’s just Swiss chard (2). Let’s go into detail about it.
1. Swiss chard – The sweetest green vegetable
Have you ever tasted them raw? Yes, it’s true that they are bitter when raw. However, when you cook them over the fire for a couple of minutes, the bitterness dissipates and will give you a wonderful sweet sensation, just like spinach. Being cousins of the beet or spinach family, Swiss chard can be introduced as a green leafy vegetable, especially unforgettable due to its stalk in a range of rainbow colors and somewhat big dark green leaves. Isn’t it resembling the same as Spinach? Yes of course.
Never put the magical stalks in your dust bin. It is a huge vain. You could find a number of active compounds in the stalk as well. Go on with some sort of sauteeing, tempering, just have the pieced stalks added to your favorite salads, and pickles or eat as vegetable sticks baconed or fried. You can add the stalks first into the cooking pan, before adding the leaves. That’s how you can overcome the long time it takes to cook.
In addition to soothing your body, Swiss chard is a package full of Vitamins A, C, and K, and antioxidants. This will help to regulate your digestion, blood pressure, and blood sugar levels. Furthermore, this is a wonderful immune booster you can try especially to keep your body free of infections and diseases in the long run (3).
2. Sweet potatoes
You can find sweet potatoes in many forms on the market shelf. It may be fresh, frozen, or in cans. Keep in mind to select the fresh ones of firm potatoes with smooth skin. In addition, it is important to be free from cracks, blemishes, and spots.
They are hefty in dietary fibers, Potassium, and Vitamins A and C. The good point is that they are totally free of saturated fats and cholesterol (4). Normally it is advised to store sweet potatoes in a cool, dark place. You can save them for 3-5 weeks this way.
Cool and sweet plates of sweet potatoes
You can prefer many ways to serve them. Just as with potatoes you can do whatever you prefer such as baking, frying, steaming, roasting, etc. (5).
- One popular way is serving them as baked snacks. Slice them into thinner pieces and bake in an oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 15 minutes with some olive oil coated.
- If you bake them for about 40-60 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheits ultimate result will be crispy sweet potato fries.
- You can slice them for 1/2 inch thickness and grill them for a perfect texture and enjoy them with some squeezes of lime.
- Sweet potatoes will create sweet salad toppings. One of the perfect combinations will be some diced sweet potatoes, pineapple tidbits, apples, celery, and cashews.
- Mashed sweet potatoes under steam with some dashes of orange juice will be a perfect baby feed for your toddler to gain weight.
- Maple syrup drizzled over cooked and diced sweet potatoes will satisfy up to a level as a sweety dessert.
- Cooked sweet potatoes will be a great filling for your sandwiches as well.
- Sweet potato pancakes. Never miss the recipe for Sweet Potato pancakes with Apple Walnut topping.
3. Sweet corn/Maize/Sugar corn/Pole corn
Don’t you love these? Sweet corn is one of the yummiest side dishes you can have due to its splendid milky taste along with the sweetness. Especially in Asian countries like Sri Lanka, you can find them often during the season, along the countrysides in small huts steaming in lots for travelers. In addition, you could find them on the market shelf in canned forms such as ‘Baby corn’, in fresh and as well as in frozen forms.
Take care to select fresh ears with green husks owing to fully tight and silky rows found in the kernels. You can store such corns with husks in the refrigerator to serve for about 1-2 days. These are rich in Potassium and are considered a main source of Carbohydrates too. At the moment, are you looking for some different ways to serve them? Catch on the suggestions given below.
Smart sweet corn dishes
- Enjoy your snacking time watching a fav of yours on Netflix. It’s just simple to have some popcorn prepared for you. Have some popcorn kernels (it’s just young corn seeds) and add them to heating oil over a pan allows to pop while closed. Count on for about 30 seconds and turn off the heat. Add either honey or some chili as you prefer and enjoy during your movie hours. If you are looking in detail, here comes the Sweet popcorn recipe.
- Add corn to your hot and creamy soups and enjoy.
- You can add corn to salsa or guacamole for crunchy bites.
- Go on some baking with corn added to your recipes. For example, cornbread and corn muffins would be fantastic to try out. They basically contain cornmeal and add some corn embossed for rich bites.
- Have some homemade side dishes or salads; Corn added with chopped onions, red and green peppers, pinto beans, and tomatoes mixed with vinaigrette would be more than enough for your sipping eves.
- Corn on the cob with chili lime butter
- Sprinkle milky corn pebbles with some Parmesan cheese smeared on chili pieces, other herbs and spices for hot bites.
- Cheesy corn potatoes.
- Taco salads with corn added.
- Sauteed corns with some onions and green chilis in olive oil.
- Roasted corn salsa would be one of the greatest side dishes for your BBQ eve, as a topping for burgers. to be wrapped up in quesadillas and with low-fat tortilla chips.
4. Sweet pepper
Sweet pepper is a range of varieties coming under bell peppers with less pungent features. You can find them in the market in fresh, frozen, and canned forms. Pay attention especially to the appearance when you are going to buy some. The fruits should be firm, with a bright-colored tight skin. Avoid dull-colored, pitted and shriveled peppers as much as possible. You can preserve them by storing them in the refrigerator for about 5 days.
In terms of nutritional aspects, sweet peppers are hefty in Vitamin A, C and Potassium. In addition, there are incredibly packed with dietary fibers, Iron and Folates. Now, you may fond to know how to incorporate these lovely vegetables into your day-to-day recipes for subtle hot and sweety bites. Here are some suggestions you could try.
Sweet pepper dishes for hot and sweety bites
- You can just slice or dice them and enjoy them in the initial raw form. They are such magical fruits adding a bit hot and sweet bites to any kind of dishes you prepared. Never miss the fantasy of sweet peppers served with a vegetable salad, green salad or a pickle.
- Smear some olive oil and sprinkle a pinch of salt and place them on the grill for a perfect finish.
- You can embed them in your sandwiches and any kind of other filling as well.
- Try adding bell peppers to some main dishes such as pasta, macaroni, noodles, spaghetti, vermicelli, soups, stews, chicken, or tuna salads.
- It is a number one as a topping for many pizzas, omelets, and sauces.
- Stuffed bell peppers – Indeed, you can have them as cater buckets. Prepare your favorite type of sauteed filling (i.e. beans, vegetables, seasonings, chicken, tuna, sausages, or any other type of cured meat) and have them stuffed in your sweet peppers. Then bake and enjoy as snacks with your relaxing tea.
- It is unforgettable about the pleasing colors they have. Decorate your plates with the rainbow-colored bell peppers coming in red, orange, green, yellow, etc. Children would admire them a very lot.
It’s just golden! A package full of nutrients with a pleasing color for your every plate rather than soothing and relaxing. This popular root vegetable is hefty with many natural vitamins and minerals. As an example, these crunchy sweets are full of beta carotenes, fibers, Vitamin K, Potassium, and antioxidants. If you are looking in detail, these components are wonderful in reducing your fat body, for better eye health, and lower levels of cholesterol.
To have a better experience select fresh carrots that are well-shaped, firm, round, and apparently crispier. Color should also be considered. Good ones will have a deep orange color with good-looking greeny tops. Avoid soft ones that are wilt especially because they are the main symptoms that carrots are spoilt. You can buy from the market in fresh, frozen, canned forms and as well as in 100% pure juices.
Here are some suggestions for you to have carrots on your day-to-day plate.
Carrot plate ideas
- Just have a small spice up over diced carrots.
- It’s just simple to have some fresh carrots peeled and diced to enjoy as simple snacks. You can top up your salads of any kind with carrots as well.
- Carrot is a perfect addition for all kinds of soups you love and even for slow cooker recipes. For example, have some carrots added in Turkey cranberry stew, instead of potatoes.
- Peanut butter is a dip you can try for carrots for a delicious taste.
- Do you know? Some carrots decored in a tempering mixture, sauteed carrots, breaded crumbs smeared and fried carrots are some popular items displayed in Asian cuisine with some other curries. Rice is the carrier. If you really love to try some, these recipe suggestions will help you in advance.
- Carrots are also great with other vegetable dips as well. Carrot tuna vegetable dip is one you can have.
- Drink golden! Just wow right. You can have some carrots blended, pineapple juice, honey, and low-fat yogurt mixed well together to have a power gold smoothie.
- Cheesy Carrot casserole is a wow snack you can have for your evening teas. Shredded carrots with some cheeses that you love plus margarine. Whole wheat cracker crumbles can be used as a topping and then simply bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30-45 minutes.
Frequently asked questions
1. What is the sweetest green vegetable?
According to the information so far, Swiss Chard is credited as the sweetest green.
2. Sweet vegetables for smoothies
You can just blend up any sweet vegetable for a puree or a smoothie. In the passage, you can have a power gold smoothie prepared using carrots. It is simply a wow golden drink you could try.
3. Sweet vegetable cake
It’s a piece of pleasing news for you all vegetarians right? Yes, now you can stay away from eggs and milk-incorporated cakes and have a try on this. This sweet vegetable cake is just soothing, especially for you guys seeking a cool. The only ingredients you need are giant bee honey, sap, rock carrot, longrass, savoroot and some water (6).
4. Sweet vegetables for babies
When your kid starts just feeding after the breastfeeding period, it is wise to have some cool vegetables incorporated into his/her diet. You can have them mashed and fed to your toddler. However, keep in mind not to add too many salts and spices as you do for the rest of the family. For example, you can try some carrots, sweet potatoes, avocadoes, pumpkins, and peas.