Cornstarch chunks are elementary to prepare, and it only needs a few ingredients, and you are good to go. You can even store them for months in the refrigerator. The only thing you want to know is how to make cornstarch chunks.
They are primarily used to thicken sauces and gravies. You can use two methods to make cornstarch chunks using a microwave or an oven.
So as the name suggests, they are made of corn starch, the main ingredient. Those chunks can make as perfect cubes or in irregular shapes. That is according to your preference. Some people tend to make them seasoned, sweetened and coloured. It is with many possibilities.
This article will help you to know all the details about cornstarch chunks. It includes the preparation methods in two ways, risks, harms and most asked questions. After reading this, you can know everything if you have never heard about them.
Making Cornstarch Chunks in the Oven – Easy Tips
There are two ways to make cornstarch chunks: one using the oven and the other using the microwave. If you make cornstarch chunks using the range, you will have more crunchy chunks than in the microwave. It is because if you make it in the oven, all the water in the cornstarch will evaporate from the heat. It may take some time.
- 500g of cornstarch
- Aluminium foil
- An empty box
- Any seasoning you like
Steps to Make Cornstarch Chunks
- Preheat your oven to 375°F
- Mix your favourite seasonings with cornstarch
- Take the empty box and throw all the cornstarch, and press well. Put all your strength or make some heavy object to do the work. The purpose is to remove all the air in the corn starch and condense the powder.
- After you have formed the brick, cover it with aluminium foil. It is advised to use a generous amount of foil to cover fully.
- Please place it in the oven for about two hours. Please open and check your cornstarch brick every 30 minutes to see whether it is burned. Every time you check, it should be solid but not burnt.
- After it’s done, please keep it in the fridge for four hours and break the rock-solid cornstarch into chunks. If you want to keep them fresh, always place them in the refrigerator until you use them.
Making Cornstarch Chunks in the Microwave
Making cornstarch chunks in the microwave is the easiest and fastest way. You can do this with your kids as a family project. The kids will love this. And also it is an ideal way to spend quality time with your children.
- 500g of cornstarch
- A microwavable bag or a box
- Any seasonings according to your preference. Sweet or Spicy It doesn’t matter. It’s up to you.
Steps to Make Cornstarch Chunks in the Microwave
- Add seasoning and cornstarch to your bag or box.
- Press well to remove all the air and condense the powder.
- Heat in the microwave for five minutes and remember to check from time to time, or it will tend to burn. Feel free to heat a few more minutes if needed.
- Break the brick into pieces and place them in the freezer to have them fresh. Enjoy!
Now you all know how to make cornstarch chunks. It is one of the easiest recipes you will come around. Remember, Don’t Forget to share this recipe with your friends and family.. Be cautious. There is a risk of dust explosions caused by overheating cornstarch. So keep an eye out when you are making cornstarch chunks.
Most Asked Questions
Can you Eat Cornstarch Chunks?
No, It’s not good. Eating raw cornstarch is unsafe as it may cause digestive issues such as gas and bloat. Most of the time, people use it to thicken their sauces and gravies.
Is Cornstarch Chunks Harmful?
There is no yes or no answer to this question. It may vary from person to person. It is according to your health issues. Cornstarch does not include vitamins and minerals, but it consists of carbohydrates lower in glycemic index. That means even if it mainly consists of carbohydrates, it will not cause high blood sugar levels. That’s a good sign!
What is the Fastest Way to Make Cornstarch Chunks?
The fastest way to make cornstarch chunks is by using the microwave. You can make it under five minutes. It may be the quickest way to make chunks, but there are better ways. I recommend making them in the oven to have crunchier cornstarch chunks.
Best Way to Store Cornstarch Chunks
First, you must remember to keep them away from humidity and light; to do that, you must use air-tight containers or bags. It doesn’t matter what you use; the purpose is to keep them away from light and air. Keep the cornstarch chunks in the freezer. Those chunks will last fresh for months.
What are the Main Ingredients in Cornstarch Chunks?
As the name itself, the main ingredient is cornstarch which can find in any grocery store or supermarket.
Who Invented These Chunks?
It is unknown to date, but the inventor of cornstarch is Thomas Kingsford. He is the one who found out how to separate the starch in the corn. The other impressive thing about cornstarch is that it was not used as food back in the day. Before adding them to the food, they used cornstarch only in laundry and cleaning.
Is It Healthy to Cook Cornstarch in the Microwave?
Different people hold different answers to this question. Some might say it is safe, while others say it is not. It is something worthy to put under discussion. It does not matter what others think. And, it is up to you whether to heat using a microwave or not. It is one of the most efficient ways to prepare food. It takes a little time. If you are in a hurry, it is the ideal machine for food preparation.
You May Also Like